Saturday, September 10, 2011

Mud, swamps, soccer and happy birthdays

Wow. Yesterday was long and crazy. Three of franco's friends came over to and the five of us, plus Max, Seba, Domi and our neighbor Alvaro, decided to go on a walk. While, they decided to go on a walk, I had no clue what we were doing until we were actually doing it, as usual. But first the 9 of us ran around the house trying to find a pair of rainboots that were small enough that they wouldn't fall off my feet everytime I took a step. My first few days I thought that I had seen the most mud that anyone could possibly see at one time, but then it rained. You couldn't walk outside without rainboots on, it was sooo muddy. Anyway, we all got rainboots on (and plastic bags around our socks for extra protection) and went for a walk. The dirt roads were filled with mud, and when you took a step, if you were lucky, your boot would only sink down to your ankle, and often I was not so lucky. The countryside was beautiful, on the way back to the house, I was offered a choice: I could take a shortcut through the swamp with all the boys, or take the road back with Seba and Domi who were on bikes. Up for anything, I decided to brave the swamp. Plus, Chile is still a little masochinistic, and o wanted to prove to everyone that I could do it on my own. I couldn't. Do it on my own, that is. If you stepped on the plants, you'd only sink down a little, and you'd be okay. But the swamp was full of little canals, invisible on the surface, and if you stepped in them, plants or no, your whole boot would sink down. Being about half the size of everybody else, if my boot got caught in a canal, I wasn't strong enough to pull it out by myself. So, lucky me, I got to play damsel in distress about three times, with half a dozen boys fussing over me. It was an adventure, though.

When we finally came home, all smelly and muddy, the boys decided to play a pickup game of soccer. I declined, because I was worried that if i tried to run or kick a ball, my rain boots would fly off and hit someone in the head and kill them (I know there are a few if you out there who are like "yeah, right. She just didn't want to play" but for your information, I'm telling the absolute truth. I happened to have participated in half a dozen games of soccer since I've been here. So there.). I tried to take pictures of the game, and I really really wanted to get an awesome action shot of the ball flying through te air or something, but it was really dark and the photos did not turn out so well. Too bad.

The last thing that I did yesterday was go to my host cousin's 11th birthday. It was just like any other birthday (a family party, not a friends party) except it lasted until 1:30 in the morning and the cake was filled with manjar. The highlights: watching American concerts on tv with a family friend who spoke really good English:
On Florence and the Machine:
"Wow. She sings really bad. People actually listen to this"
On P!nk (who's wearing a skirt that barely covers her butt)
"Do you know her?"
"Yes, she's really popular in the U.S."
*pink shakes her butt*
"Ahhh, I know why she's popular, she shows everything"
On Paul McCartney, who's singing 'Imagine':
"This guy stinks. Where did they find him? The original band did it better."

I just about died laughing.
Well that's about all the happened yesterday. Today was mostly a lazy day. Although I did get to skype with my family, and I enjoyed kicking Max's butt at go fish and spit. He took it pretty hard and programmed Emilio's phone to say "you are a loser. I am the real winner." in English, and has been playing that for me for the last 10 minutes. Ahh, little brothers are sooo much fun. :)

Chao, Gracie
(no one in Chile actually says adios. It's 'chao'. And they say 'Hola' when they greet you, but they answer their phones by saying 'Hello'. Its kinda funny)

P.S. I've been in Chile for a full week now!!!! Crazy.

P.P.S. While the brothers have been teaching me espanol, I've been teaching them English. It's hilarious. I suppose they must think it's funny when I speak Spanish, too. They have a good laugh when I can't roll my 'r's at least. But if you ever meet someone who's native language is Spanish and doesn't know much English, make them say 'fish' 'bread' and any other words with sh or th sounds. IT'S FUNNY :)

No comments:

Post a Comment