Sunday, September 4, 2011

Beinvenido a chile!

Hola, mi amigos! Today marks the end of my first full day in Chile. Yesterday morning I was picked up at the airport by Claudia, Emilio and Franco. We discovered that we were adopting another exchanger, Brigid, from New Jersey. Claudia quickly decided to rename her 'Brie' because Brigitta means something like 'prostitute' in chile.She will be living on Easter island, but they are not ready for her so she is spending the week with us. It's a good thing really, because she's taken Spanish for 4 years and in my eyes, is fluent. She's been helping me a lot, because I understand almost nothing...

We ate breakfast in the airport and then drove the three hours to Talca. then we ate the biggest lunch you've ever seen! A humongous slab of beef, sausage, rice, salad, potato, salsa. Then I slept. For 9 hours. When I woke up, Brie and the family were in the living room, with the German exchange student Robin who will be in my class, and his host family. Later in the year we might switch families, so I might live with them. We talked and listened to music, and then we went to bed again. Brie and I slept until noon.

We ate breakfast, and then Claudia produced a deck of cards. Brie and I taught my brothers how to play egyptian solitaire, and go fish. Go fish was funny because Seba and Domi would pronounce it 'go fetch'. Brie taught Franco and I to play spit, and then we ate lunch: empanadas, muy rico. The boys showed us all the animals, the dogs and 2 month old puppies, the horse, and the baby sheep. Lets just say that animals are treated very different in chile. There haven't been much differences between Chile and the U.S. except that (and the fact that you kiss someone on the cheek when you say hola or adios).

Later Domi and I played soccer, he killed me. Then Seba joined my team, and we still lost, even though whenever the ball came near our goal, Seba sat on it. Then Brie joined Domi's team, and we lost again. For the last game, Domi and I against Brie and Seba it was more evenly matched. We won, and I scored four of the goals, including one kick right over Seba's head. I was very proud of myself.

Well, that's mostly what I've been up to. Adios para ahora. Muchas amor! -Gracie

2 comments:

  1. hola graciela! There is also a blog called gracie goes to istanbul..that's not you! dad says no way, i say not now. jajaja. we are proud of you too, altho not necessarily for your soccer skills! you can practice spanish online, but better to do it for reals (unless you want to practice conversations about certain things in advance and have tiempo! ) te amo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my second post on this day.

    Quickly, I am reminded of when Fred and I stayed with a couple in rural Holland. They raised pigs and chickens in not very animal friendly conditions. He spoke no English and she a little. Fred and I could speak some German (which has some of the same words as Dutch) which is not a very good thing. BUT we could play UNO and drink Jagermeister (your dad no doubt knows what that is) and we could do this for hours. International language.

    I can't remember what else I wrote for now.

    ReplyDelete