Tuesday, September 6, 2011

More stuff that happened

Today was great.

Claudia, Bri and I went into Talca for the first time today, to get our Chilean identity cards (of course, the picture on mine turned out horrible). But Talca is wonderful. There's something about it that's so much prettier than any big city you've seen before. It doesn't even seem that big, except for all the people everywhere. And everybody is super friendly (especially if you're blonde).

After we got our identity cards dealt with (I am now legal, just so you know) we went for ice-cream. Let me just say that things are sweeter in Chile. I have a terrible sweet tooth, but chilean ice cream is too sweet for me. I didnt even know that was possible! And then there's manjar, which is sort of like a cross between peanut butter and chocolate and caramel that's made from milk and sugar, and that stuff is, wow. I like it on apples and bananas, but my brothers will eat a huge plate of it, all by itself, it's crazy. It's sooooo sweet! Just watching them eat it like that makes be crave broccoli. And at every meal, it's either juice to drink or chocolate milk. Or coke. Once I had tea in the afternoon, and that was the only non-sugary drink I've had the whole time I've been here. It's absurd.

While in Talca, the other thing we did was visit my school. I was super nervous, but once I got there, I felt like a movie star. I'm blonde enough myself, and Bri is white-blonde, and pretty much the whole school was staring at us and whispering (and trying to pretend that they weren't). It was kinda awesome. And I got to meet to of my teachers, my English teacher (who speaks perfect English) and my history teacher ( who speaks Spanish really slowly) and the were both super nice and friendly.

I think I'm gonna start school on Thursday, 'cause Bri leaves tomorrow morning and I'll be lonely at home myself. Although I think Anita the nanny is super excited that I'll be home with her. It's a little sad, my human translator is leaving me, and now I'll actually have to use my dictionary. Plus, she's the only one who understands my jokes... And I like her :) the whole family is kinda hoping she'll come back to live with us later in the year, and she might, cause she's gonna stay in Easter Island for three months and gem come live somewhere on the mainland.

Oh, the other exciting thing I did today (COUGH, COUGH, Rachel Perry): I rode a horse! All by myself! I even got on and off it myself too! It was exciting. I don't know it's name though, in case you might be wondering, because when I ask the name of animals, no one understands me. Although, I know that one of the dog's name is Bull, because that information was volunteered to me. Haha.

Well, I've got to wake up early to see Bri off (she's taking a train to santiago by herself, brave girl) so that's all for now. Adios,
Gracie

2 comments:

  1. OK Grace, I am trying again. I called your folks for help on doing this. I hope you got my other long note back to you. Your words remind me of times in my life.

    Your blond hair - Fred and I spent a couple of weeks in Italy. There are no grey-haired women regardless of age. Except ME!!! In the town where we stayed for a week, there was a 150 (maybe) year celebration and we were the only grey-haired people there. boy did we stand out but not in a nice way like you and Bri.

    they have a nanny? does she take care of you and the other kids? Make your bed, hang up your clothes? Oh, oh, Harriet - high expectations for this kiddo of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Grace! That was terrible about the cows...but I wanted to help you with asking the names of animals :) You just point at the animal and say "como se llama?" or "cual es su nombre?" I believe. They'll get what you're trying to say, at any rate. I hope this helps! I miss you terribly. But I know you're having fun...I'm jealous that you got to herd cows and ride horses. It sounds muy divertida! Love you <3
    -Shea

    ReplyDelete