Saturday, October 15, 2011

Fiesta!

So, today, I did absolutley nothing. Really, I haven't done anything. I think the highlight of my day was that I had cereal for breakfast, and even that wasn't that exciting, because apparently NOBODY in this country has regular milk, and I had to eat my cereal with yogurt.

But you don't really want to hear about my breakfast. What you probably DO want to hear about is Ice Alive, the party that my class in school threw last night....

I suppose I should start from the very beginning, though. Yesterday afternoon, I met up with Robin and Mayella and Hanna in Talca... and we really did nothing exept hang out and talk, but it was really fun anyway. And later, Kelly came and joined us, but Taylor couldn't, because she had got in a huge fight with her host mom. But, then she called us to say that her host dad, who she was on good terms with, said that maybe it would be better if she left the house for a few hours, so the five of us walked the 11 blocks to Taylor's house to pick her up. And Kelly and I picked flowers and put them in an empty sprite bottle (yes, technically, the flpeers were stolen from people's yards, but it was for a good cause, I swear) and all the Eurpoeans called Kelly and I silly for picking flowers, but when we did get to Taylit's house, she was crying and our sprite-bottle flowers cheered her up. :)

*Taylor and her host parents are meeting with Rotary today to get things straightened out, because Taylor and her host mom really do not get along... I think because they just have very different personalities. But anyway..*

Oh! And then we decided to take a collectivo (taxi) back to the center of town, because everyone was complaining that their feet hurt, and the six of us shared one taxi (even though the limit is 4 passengers) and that was absolutely crazy and exciting, because taxi drivers ere drive like they do in New York (actually, every driver here drives insanely, not just the taxis)... The taxi driver was super nice though; probably he never had six passengers who were all foreign and 4 of whom were blonde in his taxi at one time before... I'm sure we spiced up his day :D

And then we spent the evening hanging out and eating dinner and cheering up Taylor (pretty successfully, I'd say) and then everyone went home except Taylor and I, who went to Robin's house to hang out before Ice Alive started.

So we got ready (which pretty much entailed convincing Kelly's dad to let her come, too, and talking to people on Robin's Facebook, because none of us had brought with us any clothes or anything to actually get ready with) and then picked up Kelly, and the four of us went to the party.

So we stood outside for a long time, and talked to some of my school friends who I'm pretty sure were trying to sell the last of their tickets, and I think I was supposed to be doing that, too, but, whatever, I'm playing the foreign kid card.. Anyway, we stood outside talking to Francisco and Vicente for a long time, and then we went inside, and continued to talk to Francisco and Vicente for a long time, and then we started dancing. Francisco danced with Kelly, who could actually dance pretty well, and I dances with Vicente in what I imagine was probably really stupid/crazy looking, (but whatever, I was having fun) and you could say Taylor and Robin danced together, but really what they did was stand next to eachother and wave their hands around.

Later I danced with some other boys in my class, and Robin and Taylor left to go sit upstairs and talk.

And then, Kelly and I decided that we should go all out and not care what anyone thinks and just be crazy gringas together, because why not? So the two of us grabbed hands and ran through the crowd, screaming and cheering and fist-pumping, and every few minutes we would stop and do the stupidest American dances we could think of... And were just generally crazy. Everytime we stopped to dance, all of the people dancing around us would stop dancing and just stare at us.. It was really funny. And apparently this made us really, really popular, because then at least two dozen guys asked the two of us to dance, and sometimes we'd say yes, and dance with them for awhile, and then go off and be crazy again. And it was really fun. Taylor and Robin were really embarrassed by the two of us, but I'm pretty sure that Kelly and I started a new trend... At the next dance, I think everyone will be dancing just like us :)

The party was over at three, but our ride came at 2:30, and I really didn't want to go. Kelly and I are looking forward to the next party, soooo much.

Te amo! Love, Gracie

No comments:

Post a Comment