Sunday, January 22, 2012

Chileans are silly.

and they must say hi and ask you how you are doing. ALWAYS.

Phone conversation with a friend:
Me: "Hello, Pedro Pablo?"
Him: "Yeah, who's this?"
Me: "It's Grace. So, what time are we meeting, and where?"
Him: "Hi, Grace."
Me: "Umm, hi."
Him: "How are you?"
Me: "I'm, uhh, good, you know, the same as I was when I saw you two hours ago.. And you?"
Him: "I'm good, too."
Me: "Okay, great. So, what time are we meeting?"

Chat conversation with a friend:
Him: "It was a JOKE!!"
Me: "Uhh, what?"
Him: "What I told you yesterday."
Me: "Yeah, I know."
Him: "Oh, thank goodness, I was scared."
Me: "It's alright. No worries."
Him: "Hello, how are you?"
Me: Confused.

Taylor laughs at me whenever I have a phone conversation. Because Chileans will never let me talk until they have established that we are both doing okay.

They also think that all Americans are alcoholics. Or maybe it's just my host mom who thinks that. This is a normal phone conversation with her:
Her: "Talk to me, Grace."
Me: "Can I go to McDonald's with my friends?"
Her: "You want to go to a bar?"
Me: "No, McDonald's."
Her: "Grace, I think it's too early in the day to be going to bars."
Me: "No, not a bar, a restaurant! McDonald's."
Her: "What? A restaurant? Why didn't you just say so?"
Me: "I did. So can I go?"
Her: "Okay. But absolutely NO drinking okay?"
Me: "I promise you, I will not be drinking at McDonald's." (They don't even serve alcohol, in case you were wondering. It's the same menu as American McDonald's, only they have empanadas)
Her: "I mean it, Grace. No drinking."
Me: "I don't drink!"
Her: "You are way too young to drink, and I just don't want anyone taking advantage of you. I know what the men of my country are like."
Me: "I don't drink, I won't drink, and there won't even be boys there!"
FACEPALM.


P.S. GUESS WHAT? IT TOOK ME, LIKE, AN HOUR OR SOME REALLY LARGE AMOUNT OF TIME TO WRITE ALL THAT. GUESS WHY? BECAUSE IT ALL HAPPENED IN SPANISH AND I HAD TROUBLE TRANSLATING IT INTO ENGLISH!!! YEE-HAWWWW :)

1 comment:

  1. ah, tu mamá está mirando hacia fuera para tí ja, ja!

    ReplyDelete